While trying to write this post, I had a hard time finding pictures of homes with Nativity sets.

Perhaps it's because the Nativity set is not so 'chic' anymore in Christmas decor or perhaps, with all the other hoopla we place all over our homes we just don't have the time and energy to set-up one!;-)

source
I guess Christmas villages are more popular than this important reminder ( to me at least), of why we TRULY celebrate this holiday.

But, being the traditional soul that I am, I still feel the need to set up one as much as I feel the need to set-up our Christmas tree! 
I'm definitely an old soul when it comes to this  and very sentimental about it too.

Let me tell you why....


source

I remember growing up, my father (who by the way was the original decorator in our home), would build a small manger and set-up our huge Nativity set either outside or inside our home.

source
Then he would hang a huge star on one of our radio towers (yes, we had a radio tower back in the Philippines) and string lights going down towards the Nativity scene - it was magical! 
Whenever people ask where our house would be, I would just tell them to 'follow the star'!

And with that said, I set up our Christmas Nativity for our home this year...
The set is a gift from my mother two Christmas ago. 

Isn't it beautiful?
Not as elaborate and grand as the one my father sets up, but still I love it.
All the figures are dressed in gold and yellow and all the details, exquisite.


My Star, though not strung as high is still very Filipino - Capiz Parol /lantern


I really love looking at this set and whenever I tell the story to my sons about Christmas, it's nice to look at something in our home that goes along with this story.

I've also been on a hunt for a while now for a huge set for the outdoors.
Haven't seen one yet that fit my fancy (and budget), but I'm hoping someday, I'll find the right one and keep on re-living our old Manger way back in the Philippines...

I am still a bit homesick during the holidays, glad that I'll be enjoying the beach soon!

Have a Great Weekend Everyone !

**VEL**

 Would love to hear your thoughts! Please share away...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top